Livestock Earnings Up 15 Fold Since Foot and Mouth Free Status Declared23 April 2014
PERU – Earnings from Peruvian livestock exports have increased 15 fold since Food and Mouth Disease status was upgraded last year.
The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) ruled 98.36 per cent of Peru’s national territory was officially free in 2013 with the remaining 1.64 per cent free ‘with vaccination’, resulting in an upsurge in cattle sales abroad.
A further $10 million is saved annually because of FMD eradication, Agriculture minister Juan Manuel Benites told Andina.
The Peruvian newspaper reported the FMD free period in South America since 2012 and ‘favourable’ in the fight against the disease in the region.
TheCattleSite News Desk