TheDairySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the dairy industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 5th, 2009, 14:46

Default Hair loss around eyes and forehead

My holstein crossed steers and bulls have some hair loss around the forehead/horn area and around the eyes. The most affected animals are in a herd of 12 and are over 8 months old. There is one in another pen who is showing some signs he is about 6 months old. One calf has red skin, like the hair and skin has been peeled off around the eye, but most others, I have never seen anything more than dry skin with hair loss. They are very healthy looking, I will try to get a picture and put it here some where, but I don't really suspect lice. Any ideas?
Unread April 15th, 2009, 10:38

I agree with Andromeda- it sounds like ringworm. If you want to go down the organic path you can try dusting sulphur or a mild solution of copper sulphate. You can also add these to the animals salt lick. If you want some great organic tips on any animal, look for a series of books by a lady called Pat Coleby. She is an organic nutrition consultant. Well worth a read.
Unread October 8th, 2009, 11:27

Olive, almond and coconut oils are all excellent for the hair. While you could apply oil as an alternative to leave-in conditioner, oil tends to make your hair sticky, and you cannot style your hair well after applying oil. Your only alternative would then be to tie up your hair. For better results with oil, apply just a few drops immediately after washing your hair, when your hair is still dripping wet. Oil doesn't penetrate the strands as easily as leave-in conditioner does though. Nothing beats a hot oil massage followed by a steam treatment, as the steam helps the oil penetrate the hair strands, strengthening them and prevent hair loss.
________
FIX PS3

Last edited by doreen esta : May 7th, 2011 at 19:11.
Unread November 9th, 2009, 12:16

I have just had ringworm [confirmed by the vet] in one of my Dexter heifers. The ringworm showed as a sort of crusty growth or cyst about an inch around [the size of an old UK penny piece]. She had four such cysts.

The symptoms of hair losss and redness seem to be different to mine. Are ther several diferent types of ringworm with different syptoms?
Unread November 20th, 2009, 16:27
Super Moderator

Default Sunshine

Hi JTLivery,
How are your beasts kept, penned in a barn or field ?
I ask because ringworm is usually eradicated by UVrays [sunshine !] and the quick and cheap way to cure them would be run them outside [depending on season of course].
If mites or lice how have they contracted them, have you recently brought in infected animals ?
You will also probably need to disinfect any areas used by them to prevent any future outbreaks but this will depend on the diagnosis.
Good luck !
Jon