TheDairySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the dairy industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Producers and Vets
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread November 7th, 2009, 00:00

Default 1 day old calf advice

We have a calf that is one day old. And seems really small compared to what we have had in the past. All day today he has just laid around and I haven't seen him nurse at all. Well about noonish his mother brought him up to the fence and that is where he has laid. She comes up moos nudges him then goes on. It's now 1730 and we went out a few minutes ago and checked on him. Of course mom was up there mooing. He stood up for about a minute took a couple steps mom cleaned his umbilical cord. And he laid back down. Should we be concerned? I guess I am more concered about it eating.... Or is this normal?
Unread November 8th, 2009, 12:49
Super Moderator

The calf needs to have suckled colostrum before now, if it hasn't fed, you will need to milk the mother and hand feed the calf, probably needs to be 'tubed' to get the colostrum milk into the stomach.
Unread November 24th, 2009, 13:27
Super Moderator

Hi ggspears12,
I can only echo Rhodies advice and urge you to tube or otherwise feed your calf with colostrum asap !
Colostrum does not have an indefinite 'shelf life' and your calf needs the antibodies in it to provide protection against any bacteria it may encounter.
You stand a risk of losing your calf if you leave it much longer, it will just become listless and die, no if's or but's !
Good luck !
Jon
Unread October 12th, 2010, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
The calf needs to have suckled colostrum before now, if it hasn't fed, you will need to milk the mother and hand feed the calf, probably needs to be 'tubed' to get the colostrum milk into the stomach.

If it hasnt it is more than likely a goner. I am not trying to be rude at all but you guys sound like newbies. If it was me I would just go ahead and put this calf down as he is not going to get better. He is obviously sick, probably did not get colostrum. What has your vet said? Have you called them yet? If not I suggest you do so.

Another thing, colostrum does not work usually after the first 24 hours so it is best to get some milk replacer in him. Preferably one that has about 20% fat. Also, it would not hurt to give him some electrolytes while you are tubing him. The electrolytes will give him energy and strength. Pull on the calfs skin and if it takes it more than a second or so to go back into place he is dehydrated.

Last edited by hscsalers : October 12th, 2010 at 13:58.
Unread October 12th, 2010, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncowcare
Hi ggspears12,
I can only echo Rhodies advice and urge you to tube or otherwise feed your calf with colostrum asap !
Colostrum does not have an indefinite 'shelf life' and your calf needs the antibodies in it to provide protection against any bacteria it may encounter.
You stand a risk of losing your calf if you leave it much longer, it will just become listless and die, no if's or but's !
Good luck !
Jon

After about the first 24 hours of life the colostrum wont do a bit of darn good. Get some milk replacer in him. Preferably one with about 20% fat.
Unread October 12th, 2010, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin123
A new born calf needs to be with it's mother if the mother is not there then the calf needs to be taken to the vet for it's shots and regular attention with food intake and diet to follow donot take things into your own hands unless your a professional vet yourself.

Shots will do no good on a newborn calf. Vet has advised that if vaccinated before around 3 months of age you are throwing money away because it does absolutely nothing.
Unread December 24th, 2010, 10:46

Vet has advised that if vaccinated before around 3 months of age you are throwing money away because it does absolutely nothing.
Unread May 23rd, 2011, 06:48

Banded mine last week and everything went fast and smooth. Its pretty much no stress, no blaten or crying. . .