TheDairySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the dairy industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread February 5th, 2010, 20:55

Default Cow is Wormy

I have a cow that got real bad wormy. I shouldnt have let her get as bad as she did, but it seemed like she just went downhill fast. I treated her with Ivomec pour on a couple of times and she straitened up. She almost got back to her normal self, then all the sudden lost all her weight again and her coat was dull, however she never did get that lump under her chin like most wormy cattle do. I wormed her yet again, but it didnt help. Finally i noticed that when she urinated there was some blood in her urine and she could constantly strain after she was done. I finally come to the conclusion that she might have had some kind of kidney issue (possibly due to getting so wormy??). None of the other cattle running with her have had these issues. Could this be the issue (getting so wormy that it caused some kind of organ failure)?
Unread February 8th, 2010, 17:00
Super Moderator

Hi AR Farmer,
You are spot-on about it possibly being organ failure as a result of her earlier worm infection, this is a classic case. She will either improve if it's her liver that was affected or else lose condition if it's her kidneys.
I wouldn't bother breeding from her, the fact that she has blood in her urine is not a good sign, however, ensure she is completely free of any type of worm [lung, intestinal etc] and look after her, she deserves to live out her days in some comfort.
Let this be a lesson to you, sorry if I seem harsh but you could have prevented this, I hope the others in the herd have since been treated ?!
Good luck for the future !
Jon