TheDairySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the dairy industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Lifestyle Farming
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 6th, 2011, 01:46

Default Getting ready to get into cattle

Hello all,

I've been into Equines for years. Wanting to start hobby farming ( I guess that what one would call it). I want to get a couple of cows. I want to educate myself some before I make the move though.

I've already checked out the post about the murrays and blondes. Sounds like that may be good for me.
Unread January 6th, 2011, 18:54
Super Moderator

Hi Texas, welcome to the forum. Are you intending to produce beef for your own use and private sales, or will you be selling on the open market?
The Murray greys are a good well conformed breed but not tolerant of high temperatures, you could choose a heat tolerant breed, or make provision for the temperate breed by providing enough shade in summer.
Unread February 14th, 2011, 01:55

Just for my own use.

Thanks for the info on the murrays.

Also looking at these breeds.
Angus, Hereford, Simmentals & Holstein/Hereford cross
Unread February 14th, 2011, 22:27
Super Moderator

These are all temperate climate breeds as well, the Angus is probabaly the most common in your area, if you are unable to source "eared" or Sanga breeds, I would go for the Murray Greys as first choice in your available breeds, with Angus and Hereford second and third choice.
Depending on where you are in Texas, there are other choices of breed available near Rice there is Briggs genetics who are selling their "Wagyuli" crosses, heat tolerant and very highly marbled beef.
Unread March 5th, 2011, 04:58

I don't know whether or not this is a problem in the US but in Australia (where admittedly we do run a lot of Hereford), Herefords are very prone to getting eye cancers. Not sure whether it is just us with the extreme UV or whether other people in hot areas have the same problem. Brahford are a brahman/hereford cross which would probably do very well in your area though, along with any of the Bos indicus species and crosses.
Unread March 5th, 2011, 17:58
Super Moderator

The eye cancer in Hereford has led to the decline of the breed in the USA, selection for eye set and pigment is making a difference and leading to an increase in Hereford numbers. The South African breeders appear to be ahead in the breeding for eye pigment and eye set to counter cancer.
The Sanga breeds are exelent for hot climates having developed in Africa, there are many composites and crossbreeding programs using the Tuli in Argentina and African countries;
http://sangacattle.webs.com/
Unread May 16th, 2011, 12:02

It's something my family has always done and is part of my heritage.