View Single Post
Unread September 12th, 2012, 08:15

Hello, My name is Amanda Ward and I am a second year PhD student. The title of my research is:
Lameness and Oestrus Behaviour: An investigation into oestrus detection systems- does one system “fit all”?

My research is focusing on oestrus detection methods, specifically for lame dairy cows. I am going to evaluate current systems, with future aspirations of identifying a method(s) that may be more suitable for lame or problem animals.

As part of my research I will be developing an online questionnaire for dairy farmers to complete to obtain insight on how they deal with lameness & oestrus detection. This is where the forum comes into play. I really hope that I can maximise a response by networking worldwide. Your knowledge will greatly contribute to this research. I hope that when the time comes, the farmers will generously take the time to complete the questionnaire... I know you are all very busy!! However I would be extremely thankful for your input.

More about me.. I was born and raised in Alberta Canada, and have lived in the UK for the past 8 years. In 2011 I graduated with a 1st class BSc (Hons) in Animal Science. Following my undergrad, I was awarded a funded PhD and graduate teaching assistant post.
Apart from cows/farming, I also enjoy snowboarding, horse riding, photography, camping etc...
Dairy health & welfare is very important to me, and I look forward to gaining insight from your knowledgeable members on board. Thank you!!