Thread: Highland Cattle
View Single Post
Unread August 12th, 2011, 14:47

I was raised on a dairy and beef farm and always hated cattle with horns. When the husband wanted to get Highlanders I was totally against it but he eventually talked me into getting 'just a few'. We currently run a small beef operation (for family use mostly) and have approximately 30 head. Half our heard is highland and we breed with a highland bull. I must say that the Highlands are by far the nicest disposition cattle that I have ever dealt with. They have great personalities and are very calm cows, even our bulls are very laid back. They do use there horns against each other, as their 'pecking' order allows and working with them you have to be careful. But they have never intentially tried to use their horns with us... It has happened unintentionally as when they are trying to get away from a more dominant cow. We cross the highlander bull with Hereford and Galloway to get a great tasting, faster growing cross. The cross by far is our favorite meat. The pure highland hamburger is a little fatty but the steaks are out of this world. We use no seasoning with any of out meat. The highlanders love to be brushed and worked with, easy to train, love people and are great animals. The rarely get sick, due well in the cold weather, are browsers so they have cleaned up all of our fence rows and fields, easy calving, and over all great animals. Other than the safety issue of the horns, I highly recommend this breed! Any questions let me know!